One small thoughtful gesture can really make someone’s day. The best thing about these acts of kindness is that they are small, but the impact they leave can be huge, for the person you are doing it for. So, here are acts of kindness you can start doing today:
1. Greet the person you are standing next to, whether its in the elevator or waiting for the train.
2. Pay for the tollgate, for the driver who is behind you.
3. Take your time to give directions to someone who is lost, regardless of the fact that you are rushing.
4. Offer to get groceries for an elderly neighbor of yours. This will be extra nice if the weather is acting up.
5. Give your doggie bag to a guy in the street, the one who probably hasn’t eaten for days.
6. Tell someone you love that you love them.
7. Put some money in a meter that has expired
8. Help a mother who is struggling with her baby. Help her by picking up the stroller so that she can manage to get up the stairs, or help her by folding the stroller up and putting it in the boot of her car.
9. Every time you buy something new for yourself, give at least one item of clothing (or more) to someone who needs it.
10. Take someone’s shift as the car-pool parent.
11. Do something nice for your assistant, like bringing him or her coffee.
12. Buy your friend some flowers for no reason, and surprise them.
13. Use the words ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ as you engage with others.
14. If you use public transport, give up your seat for someone who needs it more, like an elderly person or a pregnant woman.
15. Listen to someone as they talk, without interrupting them.
16. Allow another driver to get into your lane.
17. Offer your time to babysit for a single mom.
18. After shopping at the grocery store, put your shopping cart back to its designated place.
19. Call or write a letter to a teacher who changed your life, about the role they played in the person you became.
20. Buy some doughnuts or croissants for the office
21. Right off some debt that someone owes you, forgive them for it and never talk about it ever again.
22. Acknowledge when you are wrong, and say “I am sorry”
23. Throw away your thrash, and that of someone who was sitting next to you after the movie, a visit to the park or a picnic.
24. Say words of encouragement to someone who feels beat down.
25. Offer to take your friends dog or cat, while they go on a vacation.
26. Help a friend who is moving to a new place, with packing and the actual move itself.
27. Ask someone “how are you really doing” and truly listen to what they have to say.
28. Give someone the extra money they need, when they are in front of you at the grocery shop and they are short.
29. Leave a great tip, for a waiter who did a great job serving you!
30. Call or write someone and tell them how much you appreciate them in your life!
These are all acts of kindness that could put a smile on someone’s face, or relieve a burden in that moment that you decide to take action and be kind to someone.
I would like to hear from you, what acts of kindness have you done in the past for someone?