Ways to reduce stress
Being stuck in traffic, relationship problems, deadlines, financial problems, moving house. These are a few of the things that are responsible for making people very stressed. We all have stress in our lives, it is in how you handle the stress that can make a difference.
Stress is not good, it is very bad for our health. It can also cause problems in our relationships, because when you are stressed, you are in a bad space. Also, it also comes with a lot of other things, such as lack of sleep, depression, pain, anger, worry and a whole lot of other things. All these problems can escalate to something bigger or serious, such as making you abuse drugs or alcohol as a way to cope with all the things that are going on. Stress needs to be managed properly so that it does not take over your life.
Here are 7 ways to reduce stress in your life:
1. Have Realistic Expectations: most of us are guilty of setting expectations that are too high for ourselves, because we are hoping to achieve great things. While this may make you work extra hard, the disappoint that you may face if you do not reach those expectations may be a source of stress in your life. so make them as realistic as you can.
2. Exercise: exercise is a great stress reliever, as the body releases the happy hormones. So start participating in your favorite sports or join a gym class, you will love the benefits.
3. Prepare yourself: If your stress is caused by an upcoming event such as giving a public talk, there are things you can do to alleviate the stress. You can make sure that you are prepared for making the speech. You can also familiarise yourself with the venue, and you can practice your speech with people close to you or those you trust. These factors should alleviate the stress.
4. Get some rest: Most of us work very hectic jobs and sometimes finding time to get rest and relax can be a challenge, but it is important. Take time every single day to just slow things down and relax.
5. Limit your Caffeine intake: If you are a heavy coffee drinker, you might want to slow it down a bit. Caffeine can increase the stress levels in your life, and it can cause difficulty sleeping. It also can make it difficult for you to relax, so do stay away from it.
6. Get Enough Sleep each night: a person needs to sleep at least 7 hours a day, and unfortunately most people do not and they wonder why they are tired all the time. Getting enough sleep means that your body gets enough rest and you wake up well rested the next day.
7. Balance Work and Play: you need to give yourself time to relax and do things that you love doing. You need to make time for exercising, going out, seeing friends, family and whatever you deem important. You should not feel guilty about that, your health will thank you for it.
So if you are having stress in your life and you are looking for ways to deal with it better, I think these tips will help you.
If you have other ideas on dealing with stress, do share with us. We always love to hear from you.