Benefits of Beetroot
If you are trying to watch your diet and eat the right kinds of food, then you should definitely look into the health benefits of beetroots. This popular vegetable is usually red in color and has an earthly taste. It is packed with nutrients that can boost your general health. Some of the reasons why you need to eat beetroots include:
1. It is rich in fiber: This makes it a perfect food choice if you suffer from constipation and want a better bowel movement. The fiber is also important if you are watching your weight as it will give you a feeling of satisfaction and you will not have to overeat.
2. It has antioxidants: the presence of antioxidants and the enzyme glutathione peroxidase in beet root helps in increasing the amount of white blood cells in the body. This makes it boost your body’s immunity and make you feel energized.
3. Helps in lowering blood pressure: beet roots have nitrates in them which is converted into nitric acid that is responsible in lowering the body’s blood pressure. People suffering from hypertension can take beetroot to control their symptoms.
4. It has anti-inflammatory properties: Beetroot has betaine which helps in protecting the body cells against inflammation. If you suffer from arthritis, then you can take beetroot to control symptoms associated with inflammation of joints.
5. May help prevent cancer: Due to the fact that beetroot is rich in enzymes, research indicated that eating the vegetable can actually inhibit the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
6. It detoxifies that body: The betaine found in beetroot helps in flushing out disease causing toxins in the body. Drinking beetroot juice is one of the popular ways of naturally detoxifying the body.
7. Helps in cell formation: Eating raw beetroot helps with boosting the levels of folic acid in the body. This is important for women planning on getting pregnant, or those who are already pregnant, as it helps in the development of the fetus.
8. Controls anemia and fatigue: Due to the high levels of iron nutrient in beetroot, it can prevent anemia and boost the body’s energy level
There are many health benefits of beetroot, and it can be consumed in different ways. You can make smoothies, juice, or even use it in your cooking recipes. However, you should always remember to take it in moderation since it has carbohydrates that may cause weight gain if taken excessively. When you take beetroot, you may notice that your urine gets red. This is not a cause of alarm, since it simply means the color of beet has transferred to the urine.